Lyle Keith Bulloch

Lyle Keith Bulloch was born in Reston on March 10, 1920 to Edith and William Henry Bulloch. He was the youngest of 6 children, having 3 brothers and 2 sisters, and grew up on the family farm. Tragically, his father was killed in a car accident when he was 10 years old. His mother Edith raised the six children by herself during the Depression, but fortunately all Lyle’s siblings were adults except him. His sister Beatrice taught school and his sister Gladys worked in the local hardware store, so they had some family income. His brother Stan was old enough to take over the duties of running the farm, so they got by.

Lyle finished high school and then Canada declared war on Germany. He married Eunice Katherine Halls, his high school sweetheart, on October 8, 1939. He joined the South Saskatchewan Regiment October 11, 1939. His regiment was comprised of approximately 950 men draw from Estevan, Weyburn and other small towns and farms from Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

Lyle trained in Weyburn, Regina, Camp Shilo and on to Toronto. In December of 1940, he was shipped on a troop train to Halifax, then boarded a troop ship, the Pentlander, to Scotland and then on to England.

Lyle trained as a radio operator at the Morva I barracks in the Aldershot area. The first and last time he got to use that training was during Dieppe Raid in France on August 19, 1942. Lyle was captured along with 1,945 Canadian officers and men, and spent, as he put it, 2 years 8 months and 9 days as a P.O.W. in northern Germany. He eventually made it back to England just in time for VE Day, May 8, 1945.

Lyle returned to Winnipeg to his wife and young son Keith, and then some years later his second son Terry was born. They were proud residents of Charleswood, Winnipeg for over 50 years. Lyle retired from the Canada Post Office and 1976 after 31 years of service. He was a loyal member of the Charleswood Legion since its inception. Lyle and Eunice traveled extensively during his retirement. Among his favorite trips were those to the Dieppe reunions in France, and their many winter escapes with family and friends to Puerto Vallarta.

Lyle passed away February 12, 2008. He is survived by his sons Terry (Laurie) and Keith; his grandchildren Randy, David and Michelle: and great-granddaughter Emma.

< Back to the Tank Memorial Wall