The LEGION was founded in November 1925 in Winnipeg and chartered in 1926 by special Act of Parliament. However, veteran welfare and assistance had been carried on since 1916. During the 1914-1916 War Years as wounded veterans returned home, women were asked to help with their recovery by visiting hospitals, sending parcels to hospitalized and needy families and raising funds. In general, these ladies served the veterans and their dependents.
The LADIES AUXILIARY in this Command was not officially chartered until later. They are organized into a COMMAND-wide organization known as the PROVINCIAL COUNCIL LADIES AUXILIARY, MANITOBA and NORTHWESTERN ONTARIO COMMAND. The objectives of this organization are to coordinate the work of the Auxiliaries within this Command and co-operate with the Legion in its purposes.
The Auxiliary received its charter in 1942. Since that date, through the years our ladies have worked very hard in many ways to earn money which enabled the Branch to get many of the essentials needed in running a Legion.
In the early years the meetings were held in private homes until the Branch moved in the 2 army billets from Portage La Prairie and in 1949 we had club rooms to use, located on the corner of Royal Road, now called Laxdal Road. This was a dry legion at that time, so many events that were held here had to get a special license.
The ladies did catering also. However they had no water in the building so the men had to haul all the water. It was a lot of work but they enjoyed it.
In 1958 the Branch needed larger premises and bought the old Charleswood School where our present branch is located.
Membership in the Ladies’ Auxiliary is open to a woman who:
- is of Good Character.
- has reached the age of 18 years old and is eligible to be a member of the Royal Canadian Legion.
- Is willing to work for the Aims and Objects of The Royal Canadian Legion and its Auxiliaries
Ladies Auxiliary Certificates of Initiation may be obtained from the Charleswood Legion Branch.